Hi guys, Alice here.
So, I haven’t blogged in a while. I’m not going to apologise, but I do feel bad. April knows I’m glad she is good at uploading regularly, but here’s another thank you to her – thank you.
I had a plan for this post; I’ve written a short story and was going to type it up and publish it (I wrote it on paper), but I started this morning and just couldn’t make myself do it. Don’t get me wrong, I love this little niche of the internet April and I have created, but it just wasn’t happening, so you’re getting this ‘something’ instead *insert awkward laughing emoji*.
Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about the future. It’s a scary thing, but needs to be done every so often. I want to do something unconventional with my life, something that I enjoy and something which has some kind of positive impact. The problem with that is it’s difficult to explain that to people, or find a suitable work experience placement – if you know of anything, please let me know!
I know that the next five months are going to be incredibly stressful, so looking to the future should be an exciting thing, so the fact that it is scary and unknown to me at the moment is making the stressful stuff even more stressful and significant. Yay. My point is, sometimes it isn’t easy or pleasant to look at the bigger picture, or even to focus on the smaller things of the present, so you need to find something which makes you happy in the moment and stops the stresses and problems you may be facing, even if it is temporarily. It’s not a long term fix, but for me at least, it is better than wallowing in a near permenant state of sad existentialism.
Here are a few of the things that keep me ticking (or at least the ones I can think of right now):
• the internet –
– Dan and Phil (look them up on YouTube if you don’t know who they are – you won’t regret it, seriously) April and I actually did a whole post about them if you want to read more about how they have influenced the two of us
– this blog I guess, because even if I only rarely use it, it’s a good way to reflect and order my thoughts
– The Try Guys – started watching their videos recently and have been enjoying them (they work for buzzfeed and you can find their videos on YouTube)
– aimless scrolling on various social media – sometimes seems like a waste of time but is good for taking your mind off things (don’t scroll through sad posts!) – cheeky plug: our Instagram
– general spirals of YouTube, including TED talks and animal videos
– fun apps: I currently play ‘Twisty Road’, ‘Magic Piano’, ‘Splix.io’ and ‘Block! Hexa’
– netflix – 3 recommendations: ‘Sherlock’, ‘the end of the f**king world’ and ‘Happy Valley’ (also if you want something kind of eye opening / educational definitely watch ‘What the Health’)
• books – I like to read and write – haven’t done very much of either recently because I’ve been so busy with school, but missing it a lot
• creativity – I enjoy doodling, sketching, painting, crafts (don’t cry, craft! (I actually cringed writing that hElp)), photography, film making, baking, cooking and pretty much all creative stuff – at the moment I’ve kind of gone off art but that’s because of the huge amounts of coursework I’m procrastinating doing…
• friends – having a set of people who you trust, or just enjoy spending time with is so, so important. I’ve discovered that in the past year or so, after getting out of a really horrid, negative ‘friendship’. April is amazing, and I feel so lucky to have a friend like her (thanks, April).
• family – I’m lucky enough to have a (for the most part) very supportive family, and obviously it isn’t always perfect, but sometimes spending quality time with them is exactly what I need.
There are lots of things you can do to improve the way you feel, including excersise, the list above, and I’m sure you have / can find your own things too. I made a post a little while ago called ‘Tips for being more positive’ , so have a read of that if you need some help with positivity (and let me know if it works).
Sorry this was a bit rambly and random, but I promise there’ll be some good content soon and I’ll finish typing that short story up at some point if you want to read that.